Thursday, September 15, 2011

Missing...

There's an old adage that states, "You don't know what you've got until it's gone." I think that it's safe to say that we all can relate to that one...

How about when you are lucky enough to appreciate what you have without it having to go completely missing from your life altogether?

Appreciation is what I'm feeling right now. It's times like right now("now" being in the solitude of my bunk with weary eyes that desperately need sleep), that I find myself reflecting on the beauty and splendor that is waiting on me at home...two wonderful daughters, and a surprisingly enthusiastic and resilient wife who never ceases to amaze me. Believe me when I say that there are certainly times at home when I want to throttle them all about the neck and say, "Stop talking...I need silence." However, more often than not, when I am away from them I find myself longing and wishing to be kept in a state of ever-present verbage. When I am away from my three precious ladies, I find that there is an emptiness beside me that I cannot escape...a black hole of sorts that can only be filled by the presence of my girls. I guess it's because of that emptiness that the things that I may find irritating at times, can all too quickly become so endearing...and so greatly missed.

I miss my girls when I have to be away from them...they are my teachers at this point in my life, teaching me the ways of love, patience, kindness, understanding, and the occasional estrogen-driven crisis. I can't imagine my life without them in it. Actually I could...I just simply don't.

To my precious girls...Holly, Ashley, and Allison...please know that I love you and miss you greatly when I'm away and without you by me. And that it's the knowledge of you being there for me at the end of my short journeys that drives me to come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment