Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Where did my time off go?!?

SERIOUSLY!!!

My beautiful wife asked me this evening what time I will need to be leaving to meet the bus tomorrow...

What?!? What day is this? Crap!! I have to leave again already?!? Didn't I just get here?!?

This, my friends, is the toughest part of my life to grapple with...the disappearance of time off.
It always seems that just when I feel like things have calmed down, when all the dust has settled for a day, my time off is over and I have to pack my suitcase once again and board the bus for a destination which always seems to escape me until I actually arrive there.

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE my job. I always have. There is nothing that I would ever want to be doing as much as playing drums and making music...save one thing...spending time with my family at home.


Now...in spite of feeling as if my few days at home have just sped by in the proverbial blink of an eye, I am happy to report that I did get one big thing accomplished this week. It took me almost an entire day to do it by myself, however I did get it done. I replaced the garage door opener where Holly parks.
The old one was at least ten years old...in fact, it looked as if it were a lot older. To tell the truth, it may have been the best and most innovative thing in the realm of garage door openers...when it was new! Let's put it this way...there were absolutely NO plastic parts on this thing except for the thingy that covered the light bulb. But, it had served its usefulness and had finally begun to have some of its parts wear out.
Tried, I did, to find the right replacement part as so to not have to remove the entire thing...but, as it turns out 1) the replacement part cannot be purchased alone; and 2) if I had been able to find just the one part I needed to make the repair, I would have had to dismantle the entire thing anyway. Taking it all into consideration, I opted to get a brand new garage door opener and install it myself.
I must admit, it was easier than I had expected, and I was able to do it all by myself...but i sincerely believe I would have had an easier go of it had I gotten some help. I probably would have been able to get it completed in less than six hours too. (I am of the belief that you always measure twice...at least. I like to take my time and do it right...and only once.)

One more thing scratched off the "honey-do" list, though...and for that, I am thankful to have been able to spend some of my off time taking care of things at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment