Tuesday, October 2, 2012

BOO!!!!

Another season has passed us all by, and by my calculations the leaves on trees everywhere north of the Gulf of Mexico are beginning their swan song into winter. I, like many folks, enjoy the colors that fall brings...earthy and vibrant colors that seemingly cannot be replicated by any human means. I have always enjoyed the fall season. To me, the coming of fall always means the coming of my birthday, Thanksgiving, and then Christmas right around the corner. Beyond that, a new year, full of hopes, ambitions, new and renewed dreams, would be standing in wait.

My beautiful wife, Holly, doesn't seem to care too much for fall...she's much more a fan of spring and all of its beautiful colorful splendor that new growth and budding flowers bring to the season.

However...
Holly is a huge fan of Halloween. I still haven't been able to put my finger on exactly why, but I really love seeing her expose her impish, inner child. I also absolutely adore the fact that she takes such time and care to put out Halloween decor around the house. The semi-fancy table cloth that usually adorns our kitchen table has been replaced with a large, lace-like, black spider's web, and atop it, our Halloween punchbowl set (which, incidentally, has been filled with an assortment of fun-sized candy bars and chocolates). In our den, she has strung the ficus tree with "ghosts" that can be illuminated by the simple flick of a switch.

Candles, candlesticks, cute and friendly ghosts, witches, and jack-o-lanterns are all about the house, serving as a reminder to all that come in, that the season of pranks, ghost stories, and trick-or-treaters is here. It is the only time in fall that my wife seems so unavoidably happy...and it's so very contagious.

Her child-like and impish verve during this part of the year makes me love the fall that much more...and her as well!!


Our kitchen table...

No comments:

Post a Comment